How to Photograph
Measure & Document
St. Paul’s Rectory
Surveyor's Name: Michele Boyd
Date of survey: July/August 2000
Building Address: 70 Grace Avenue
Building type: Detached single-family house
Owner's name: St. Paul’s Episcopal Church
Building name: St. Paul’s Rectory
Historical name: St. Paul’s Rectory
Date of construction: c. 1924
Architect: Possibly Mann & MacNeille (Manhattan) see “Historical Information”; Henry C. Pelton (Manhattan), 1932 addition
Building dimensions: 21’ X 15’ (addition)
No. of floors: Two with basement and attic
Decorative features: Rubble fieldstone insets, fieldstone trim at entry, multi-colored slate roof
Siding material(s): Stucco, fieldstone
Roof style: Cross-gabled with gabled dormers
Roofing materials: Slate
No. of entrances & placement: Front entrance on north elevation at Grace Avenue; two rear entrances at south elevation; garage under building at south elevation
Chimneys & placement: One interior at north elevation
Architectural integrity: High
Architectural style: Tudor Revival
Description: The rectory is a five-bay, three-story, rough-stucco house. Its Tudor Revival style is evident in the two steeply pitched cross-gables that dominate the principal façade. The main gables are slightly hipped at their peaks. The front entrance is through the lower of these gables, and is delineated with a fieldstone arch surrounding the round-headed heavy batten door. The entrance gable and chimney are decorated with random fieldstone rubble insets. The narrow double-hung windows are frequently grouped in multiples. The roof is covered with multi-colored, rough-cut slate shingles.
Henry C. Pelton, architect of the Parish House, designed the two-bay, two-story addition to the east in 1932. The addition included a first-floor living room, and bath and bedroom on the second floor. The addition featured oak floors and interior molding, oak paneled doors, and six-over-six double-hung windows. The original interior layout is extant.
Historical information: Although there is no documentation presently available that ties the firm of Mann and MacNeille to the design of the rectory, it is highly likely that there is a link. The church was designed by Mann and MacNeille (see survey form for St. Paul’s Church) in 1922 and was completed in 1924. Both the church and the rectory appear on the 1926 Sanborn Map, but do not appear on the 1919 Sanborn Map, indicating that they were built at around the same time. In addition, both buildings are similar in style and materials.
Henry C. Pelton died on August 28, 1935, in New York City. Mr. Pelton, in association with members of his firm, designed a number of widely known buildings, including Riverside Church in New York. He also served as a trustee of Columbia University from 1931 to 1937. (For more on Pelton, see the survey form for St. Paul’s Parish House.)
The rectory was built for and has been occupied solely by rectors of St. Paul’s Church. The first rector of St. Paul’s Church, Rev. William Grime, lived here with his wife, Alice Kair Grime, for 35 years until his retirement in 1958. Grime was responsible for obtaining the endowment for the construction of the parish house in 1932 (see survey form for St. Paul’s Parish House). He was a founder of the Long Island School of Theology and served as chaplain to the Vigilant Fire Department.
VGNP Building Department file.
Great Neck, Nassau County (New York: Sanborn Map Company, 1919 and 1926) (New York Public Library, microfilm reel 37).
Earle G. Shettleworth, Jr. “Brief Biographies of American Architects Who Died Between 1897 and 1947,” Transcribed from the American Art Annual, Society of Architectural Historians website, sah.org, n.d.
“Testimonial in Honor of the Reverend William Grime on the Occasion of His Retirement as Rector of Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church, Great Neck, New York,” 19 September 1958, Historical file, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church.