Home | Architecture | History | Survey | Quiz | Meetings | Forms and Guidelines | The Ordinance | Publications | Links Contact
Doc. Toolbox
How to Photograph
Measure & Document
Interviews
Landmarks
Village Survey

Village Historic Survey

Choose a location:

4 Maple



Surveyor's name: Michele Boyd

Date of survey: July/August 2000

Building address: 4 Maple Drive

Block/lot: 195/127

Building type: Residential apartment

Owner's name: Westminster Hall Apartment Corp.

Building name: Westminster Hall Apartments

Historical name: Westminster Hall Apartments

Date of construction: ca. 1929

Architect: Unknown

Building dimensions: 160’ X 150’

No. of floors: Six with basement

Decorative features: False half-timbering, decorative brick patterns with clinker brick, ashlar fieldstone trim, stained-glass windows, leaded windows

Siding material(s): Brick, stucco, wood, fieldstone

Roof style: Flat with steeply pitched gabled and varied parapet

Roofing materials: Unknown

No. of entrances & placement: Front entrance at north elevation on Maple Drive; service entrance at northwestern corner on Maple Drive; side entrance at east elevation on Bond Street; rear entrance at south elevation at basement level

Chimneys & placement: None visible

Architectural integrity: High

Architectural style: Tudor Revival

Description: The Westminster is a rear-facing “U”-plan, six-story, elevator apartment house. Like that of the Hillside Apartments, the asymmetrical design is episodic. This is evident in the roofline, which alternates front-facing gables with a varied parapet and slate facing (the latter to evoke a hipped Tudor roof). Exterior walls are multi-colored brick and fieldstone contrasted with decorative half-timbering and stucco. The first and second floors have fieldstone corner quoins. The main entrance bay on Maple Drive has a fieldstone cladding for the first two stories, topped by stucco with false half-timbering for the next three stories, and then brick and slate at the top story. The entrance bay culminates in stone finials and a decorative stone plaque. The entry has distinctive double doors of decorative iron grillwork flanked by narrow arched windows. The lobby has tripartite stained-glass windows and first-floor apartments have leaded glass windows. Upper stories have six-over-six, double-hung windows with brick sills. Window groupings of three appear in projecting two-story bays. In 1993, the original leaded glass windows were replaced with replications and the original stained glass windows were repaired. Interior: The interior was not examined. The Westminster originally had 98 units. Over time several units have been combined. The Westminster was advertised as a “modern” apartment building with “all the finest improvements: automatic elevators with attendants, a completely equipped gymnasium with showers, a fine roof garden, General Electric refrigerators, incinerators, maid service, servant’s quarters, sound-proof walls.” Historical information: Convenience to shopping and recreation and “polite and efficient service” were also promoted as benefits of life at the Westminster. During WWII the Westminster served as a mini-hospital for war emergencies.

Sources:
VGNP Building Department file.
Advertisement for Westminster Hall, New York Times, 29 September 1929.
Roberta Pincus, This Is Great Neck (Great Neck, New York: League of Women Voters, 1975).


Home | Architecture | History | Survey | Quiz | Meetings | Forms and Guidelines | The Ordinance | Publications | Links | Contact